Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Fun with water color crayons!

It's Friday and you know what that means...another edition of Friday Fun!! 

This week I'm going to share with you a new favorite technique of mine which is incorporating water color crayons as an accent to my layouts.  Water color crayons go on paper just like a regular crayons but blend nicely with a brush and small amount of water into a fabulous watercolor piece of art.

On this layout I used the butterfly stencils from the August LRS kit and misted the outer design around the butterflies.  The stencils come in two parts so you have an inner design as well.  I just traced around both with a permanent ink pen so the designs won't run when I add the water during a later step.

As you can see in this photo I began adding color to the stenciled area just like I could color the design with a regular crayon..it's so easy!
 
 
In the next photo you will see the butterflies I colored.  Don't worry about coloring within the lines or completely filling in the shapes as the water will blend the color smoothly.
 
 
Using a brush and a small amount of water, blend the colors to the desired design.  Try not to wet the paper too much as to prevent warping.  For this layout, I also added a few drops of alcohol ink to enhance the previously misted design.
 
 
Here is my finished layout using the August kit and water color crayons. I also used the used the water color crayons to alter the Jenni Bowlin Alphas which are sold as an add-on to the August kit! So fun!
 

I hope you are able to try this new technique and please share your work in the LRS gallery!


1 comment:

m1ch3113lee said...

wow that is super cute idea. Love the layout...